Glancing at my pocket calendar, it seems that every month has at least one holiday of some kind except for August.
So with a little further digging, I found that August does have its share of holidays too. It’s just that they’re not well known enough to be noted in itsy bitsy print on standard calendars. Here are a few:
. National Watermelon Day on August 3. Our Leia can relate to that.
. Work like a Dog Day on August 5. (Pleeeeeze.)
. Lazy Day on August 10. Another favorite.
. And, of course, National Dog Day.
National Dog Day was created by the National Dog Day Foundation and is celebrated on August 26.
This day is intended to honor dogs for all that they do for us. In addition to giving love and companionship, dogs help us out in countless ways. They are watchdogs for our safety. They lead the blind. Dogs aid in search and rescue, and they seek out bombs and drugs.
The second goal is to lend a hand to help a dog in need today, or any day, and to rescue 10,000 dogs a year.
Celebrating National Dog Day can be as easy as giving your four-legged friend a big hug and kiss (if they like that sort of affection)! But for those who want to take their love and appreciation to another level, here are some other ways to celebrate:
- Adopt a dog form a shelter or rescue group.
- Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare groups.
- Have a party for your friends and their dogs.
- Buy your dog a new toy – or 2 – or 3.
- Give your dog a good brushing or, better yet, a massage.
- Teach your dog a new trick.
- Buy your dog a new collar and leash.
- Take your dog to the beach.
Or, you might want to wait a day. August 27 is National Burger Day.
And what dog wouldn’t want to celebrate that?